God in the Movies
Why is it that we have trouble recalling a Sunday sermon on Monday but years later, can recall a movie we saw? It is the power of the movie to tell a story.
About the Course
In this course, you will:
- examine how mainstream movies incorporate into their plots, fundamental themes like creation, fallen nature, justice, redemption, and eschatology.
- explore how films affect ordinary people’s worldviews and values and how Christians can become more discerning interpreters of popular culture in sharing their faith.
- learn about theology through film by comparing your movie experience with your experience with God.
- become more sensitive to theological truths about the human condition expressed through movies.
All Hebron BP Church worshipers are welcome to take this course. You don’t have to be a movie fan, but you should be interested in Biblical theology or the Christian faith.
About the Course
Each lesson is 1.5 hours. The workshop will run for 5 weeks. Every week, a different theme will be covered. In our discussions, we will view short film clips from contemporary movies. We will be using film clips to lead us into discussion of the theme for that week.
Date: 15 October 2023 to 12 November 2023
Time: 11 am to 12:30 pm
Location: Peter Room (4th Floor)
- 15 Oct – Creation and Fall
- 22 Oct – God
- 29 Oct – Sin
- 5 Nov – Forgiveness
- 12 Nov – Death and Resurrection
Facilitator: ANDREW SABARATNAM is a member of Hebron Bible Presbyterian Church. He is a Senior Advisor (semi-retired) at Ngee Ann Polytechnic. He has a Graduate Diploma in Christian Studies from Singapore Bible College, and a Master in Christian Studies from Biblical Graduate School of Theology. (If you want to know more about the course, please email Andrew at andrewsaba@)